Six Top 10 Recordings
"With Hobbs on Tribute to Bobby the marimba gets an exhilarating, rejuvenating workout.....Instances of profound eloquence and stunning chops abound.......This is a proper tribute to Hutcherson if there ever was one."
- Downbeat Editor's Pick, January 2018.
"Steve, Congrats on your new CD. I just downloaded it to itunes. You sound killin'! Warm Regards."
- Mike Mainieri, 2010
“This album is a beautiful tribute to Bobby Hutcherson. The playing is masterful,
the compositions beautiful, and show a Bobby Hutcherson influence - in essence, a
heartfelt and touching tribute.”
- Ron Miller (Pianist and composer for Red Rodney, Gerry Bergonzi, Pat Metheney, Joe Lavano and more)
“I have valued Steve as a colleague and friend since the day we met (in 1993), and
for me Tribute to Bobby, his latest project, represents his playing and writing at its
very best. I am very happy to have been a part of it”.
- Peter Washington (bassist for Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers, Milt Jackson, Tommy Flannigan, Bobby Hutcherson and more)
“This is a top notch release by one of the very best vibes and marimba players
around today, bar none. Great playing, great musicians, top quality sound and very
attractive choice of material. Highly recommended!”.
- Randy Johnston (guitarist for Lionel Hampton, Lou Donaldson, Jackie McLean, Houston Person, Dr. Lonnie Smith)
"He's a virtuoso vibraphonist with an inexhaustible imagination, and as up-to-date as they come, but deep down Steve Hobbs loves a good, old-fashioned tune"
- London Observer, 2010
"I have played music with Steve Hobbs for over 30 years...simply stated, he is one of the best working vibraphonists on the scene today"
- Randy Johnston (award winning guitarist)
”Steve Hobbs has long been one of the most talented, if underrated vibraphonists around.”
- Scott Yanow, All Music Guide, 2007
"I sure have enjoyed working several projects with Steve Hobbs; you can expect to hear lots more from him in the future."
- Kenny Barron (Legendary Pianist)
“Hobbs, Baron, Washington and Lewis are at the absolute top of their game.”
-Phil Freeman, Jazziz, 2004
"It is difficult to think of a more accomplished player on vibes and marimba than Steve Hobbs. He is truly world class."
- Alan Bates (Managing Director of Candid Records)
“With Steve Hobbs, there are no gimmicks or bizarre hybrids, just world-class jazz playing. He plays vibraphone and marimba with great panache and his improvisations are full of delightfully unpredictable curves and angles.”
-Dave Gelly, The London Observer, 2001
"Steve Hobbs epitomizes the art of vibe playing."
- Paul Jeffrey (saxophonist for Lionel Hampton, Thelonious Monk, Dizzy Gillespie)
“Steve Hobbs does not sound derivative of his predecessors (Milt Jackson, Bobby Hutcherson, or Gary Burton); he has carved out his own identity on vibes and marimba.”
-Scott Yanow, Jazziz, July 1996
"Steve Hobbs plays Jazz with Balls! Fuck Yea Steve!"